Saturday, January 19, 2013


The ponies are both doing well.  I restrict their turnout when it is frosty and I micro manage them along with the weather conditions and so far (fingers crossed) it is working.  They are not liking the frozen rutted ground at the moment, but neither are the shod horses.  They both had a good trim with the farrier last week and Honey is now landing and loading her front feet fairly balanced.  She now has a pair of functioning front feet, her backs still have a way to go, I'm not sure if the twist will ever right but the farrier thinks we have made and are making good progress.  I suppose I see them every day so the changes are not all that evident to me.    I still need to post the pictures of her feet from her first few trims when she arrived and then from her most recent trim and hopefully see the improvements.  She is walking really well and has such a long ground covering stride for such a wee pony.  She would make a cracking driving pony.  Hopefully this summer I will manage to get them both in the harness.  They are such great wee friends now.


Yesterday, Honey wore her first ever saddle!  She was a very good girl.  I have had her for 1 year and 1 week.  This time last year I would never have thought that this would have been possible for her and there have been times where I have thought that maybe a life with as little human handling as possible would be the kindest thing for her.  She is still very warey of people she doesn't know, but she now actively joins me and Buttons and no longer is always on the outside.  She likes to be told what a good girl she is.  Hopefully, I can start long reining them both soon as they too need to exercise.      

No comments:

Post a Comment