Thursday, February 9, 2012

You know when you're walking and you get the feeling someone is watching you?  I was walking the ponies through the field the other day and I had that feeling.  I turned around and the sheep had gathered together and were following us.  The sheep don't normally pay attention to the horses when you are riding, but maybe they didn't know what the ponies were.

 




I tried taking some photographs of the soles of Honey's feet, but I can't hold the foot and take a clear picture, so next time someone is free at the stables, I will get some pictures.  Her back heels are so twisted and contracted, the frog in the off hind is almost covered by the heel.  This is about the clearest photograph and it's not very good, but it gives you a rough idea.  It makes me very sad to look at.  Their feet are a history book and timeline of what has happened to them.  In Honey's case an insight into the great degree of negelct she has suffered.  She is comfortable enough walking around and I know it will take time and management to get them back.  She is becoming very good at picking her feet up now though.







Honey's coat is strange.  It is very soft and fine and just sticks up at all angles.  She reminds me of a little scarecrow.  Hopefully, with correct nutrition and time, her body will pick up inside and out.  It will be interesting to see what colour she is in summer.  The SSPCA registered her on her passport as a strawberry roan.  The only strawberry roans I have seen have been very pink.  Buttons is a true chesnut with flaxen mane and tail.  Honey has a lot of white hairs through her coat and that oatmeal muzzle and around the eyes.  When you look at the base of her coat it is very light, almost dun in colour.



I bought these for the ponies.  They are little bricks of chopped hay and straw (sugar free!).  They look like giant weetabix.  It was just to give them something else to do than eating out of their tiny holed nets all the time.  Buttons boots his around the stable, I don't think that's really it's intended purpose but it keeps him entertained.

 
Three Muskateers.  Struan, Bob and the new addition, Sam, a springer spaniel, my Dad rehomed before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment